Welcome
to the


Photoshop or Not
Blog

Pho٠to٠shop - noun or verb?
Today Photoshop has become more than just a term to describe a program for editing photos. It has become a term for describing whether or not a photo has been manipulated to change the appearance from its original state. People frequently use the term "Photoshopped" in this way.


My name is Rob Resnick. I currently work as a Photoshop Artist at Image Studios, a commercial photography studio in Appleton, Wisconsin. In my spare time I enjoy photography, art and the outdoors. My job as a Photoshop artist has given me a new perspective in regards to images that we see nowadays. The line between reality and manipulation is getting harder to determine just by viewing a photo. I have created this blog in attempts to illustrate what can be accomplished with the use of Photoshop.

Monday, February 9, 2009

The Hulk

First and foremost, I have to thank Shane Van Boxtel for letting me use the portrait he photographed. It was originally used in an advertisement for a financial institution. They decided to convert the image to black & white and give him green eyes. I mentioned to Shane that I thought this image begged to have more done to it so we decided to have some fun with it. Shane went in one direction with it and I went in another. Both images ended up kicking some serious hulk. If you scroll over the image below you will see the original that we started with.
The final Photoshop file had 69 layers for a total file size of 300 megs. I started first with creating the Hulk figure by changing him to green, adding motion, and dirtying him up a bit. The next part was trying to figure out what background to put him in. This is where Shane and I went in different directions. I decided to play off of the energy that there seemed to be with the image. I had taken some storm photos last summer and decided to use that as the backdrop. I also photographed a couple of wind farms last summer. The wind turbines are quite fascinating in that they are so immense. It really makes you feel small in comparison. They are a representation of how we try to harness the energy around us. I added lightning and then decided it would add a lot of drama if it looked like everything was starting to overload because of the energy the Hulk was creating. I also applied some dramatic contrast and color tint to give it that extra feel to it. I hope you have as much fun viewing it as I did creating it and hopefully you will be inspired to create your own "Hulk".




1 comment:

  1. Hey Rob,
    Nice job on the hulkster!!! This is sooo funny to me because "mr. hulk" is actually one of my good friends that helped us out. He is one of the nicest, most caring and gentle guys i know. GREAT STUFF!!!!
    Thanks for sharing...
    Smiles,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete